Monday, October 1, 2012

Pink- the Color of Hope (my Breast Cancer Awareness Nest)

She was the cook, the hostess, the comforter--
the keeper of all the mysterious secrets for how to do just about everything~~
(The Spirit of a Woman)


Most of us have known at least one incredible woman in our lives
 who has an unalterable inner strength and determination. 
 She is a sister, a Mother, a family member, a friend--
 She is a victim of breast cancer -- 
and she will fight to survive.  

  
In support of Breast Cancer Awareness 
and in honor of every woman who has ever had to battle
 this incorrigible demon--


My Breast Cancer Awareness nest will debut in October of 2013.
All charitable profits will benefit the
Susan G. Komen Foundation
for the promotion of
Breast Cancer Awareness.

   
 "The shape of a woman's life is formed not only by circumstances and events
 but by her resilience--
 from which can unfold unexpected resourcefulness
 and moments of sheer grace."
Charlene Spreknak, Author of  "Missing Mary"


 "There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire 
which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, 
but which kindles up and beams and blazes
 in the dark hour of adversity."
Washington Irving 




 "You gain strength, courage and confidence 
by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. 
 You are able to say to yourself,
 'I lived through this horror.  I can take the next thing that comes along.' 
You must do the thing that you think you can not do.
Eleanor Roosevelt 


 
 How many women do you know and love in your life?
Do you have sisters? Best friends? Women who you admire?
Statistically - about 1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer in her lifetime. 


There is hardly any woman who has not been touched by breast cancer
at some point in her life. 


 With over 1 million new cases diagnosed each year -- 
chances are that every woman knows at least one woman who has breast cancer. 


 
Whether it is their own diagnosis or that of someone they love -- 
Breast Cancer Awareness knowledge can empower a woman's struggle to survive.


  I am a woman of substance created by God,
beautiful on the inside as well as the out--
Loved and cherished by many,
One of God's beautiful designs--
I am unique---
There is only one me.
(Woman of Substance) 



 In October 2013 ---  I will debut 22 amazingly beautiful Breast Cancer Awareness nests.
Unlike anything that I have ever done before--
these nests will fittingly honor--
 the spirit of a woman. 

 (a little self-portrait here!)


Dainty, delicate, and feminine--
 these nests will speak to the soul of every woman. 



Some facts about the nests--

This nest will be the cooperative efforts
 of some of the most amazing artists and designers 
that I have ever worked with. 
Their talents and contributions will make this nest 
one of the most collectable that I have ever
 created.  
 ~~~
For the first time ever --
each little nest will be embellished with a removable and wearable handmade brooch-
delicately embroidered and embellished with tiny beads and seed pearls--
you may proudly wear this unique and original design brooch
  to show your support of
 Breast Cancer Awareness.

 
Using a variety of textures that will amaze you (!!!)-
each nest will be embellished with dainty handmade flowers
and leaves  
in an artistic rendering 
of a beautiful flower 
bouquet.
~~
My Mother first taught me to knit when I was 13 years old.  
I remember that I made an ugly scarf
 for a class project.
I really did enjoy the practice of knitting,
 but back then -- knitting wasn't cool --
 especially when you were
 13 years old.  
So -- I put down my needles~~
for over 35 years.
 ~~ 
Just days before my Mother passed away --
 she re-introduced me to knitting again. 
We were trying to find something to do 
that would occupy her mind and keep her hands busy.  
When she asked for her knitting needles --
 I realized that I had forgotten the skill.
So -- she taught me again, 
and we knitted
 together.  
~~
I believe that my Mother rekindled my passion for knitting --
that, in turn, created my obsession for beautiful yarns,
which in turn, has lead me down the path to these
nests. 
~~
After my Mother passed away,
 my sisters and I found bags of my Mothers old worsted yarns
when we were cleaning out the attic at her house.  
Honestly -- I almost threw it all away 
But - I didn't
~~
My friend Jan and my sister Denise are making tiny crochet flowers
 from my Mother's yarns-- 
Mary will work her special magic and embellish
 each of the little flowers
 with beautiful sequins and beads~
You will find these little flowers 
nestled amongst the other embellishments 
on the nests. 
I am so proud that I am able to use my Mother's yarn in such
a very special way~  


Joining me in this special project are the amazing talents of--
Maire Dodd
Brenda Sype-Donahue
Michelle Ferullo
Deb Hembree
Sue Kosec
Kylie Parry
Carrie Elizabeth Petrocelli
Paulette Racanelle
Mary Scott
LeAnn Weih
Julie Whitmore
Janet Yost
~~
Denise Burnett (my sister)
~~
(for now-- I am linking to the blogs and professional websites of my talented friends. 
Next October I will be linking to their etsy shops -
 some of them will have special items for sale in celebration of Breast Cancer Awareness.)
~~
Mary will work more beading magic with gorgeous vintage beads and embellishments.  
Delicate florals, swarovski crystals,vintage glass beads-
I've been collecting some amazing vintage jewelry pieces for use in this project.



Created from the pages of
 my knitting magazines
 and from Breast Cancer Awareness materials -- 
 each little nest will be embellished 
with handmade, sparkly, glittery, paper beads --
 so unique and beautiful --
they are truly amazing.

tiny little birds
glazed, pink, dainty
will embellish each nest-
(be still my heart!)

tiny little treasures will bear the name of that thing that we must always have--
HOPE



 Each nest will be embellished with a tiny little "nest sized" hand painted silk chiffon scarf.
Lovingly wrapped and entwined ~the nest will be encircled with a signature piece of art -- 
 Created by a truly gifted and talented artist --- these tiny little scarves are 
simply and stunningly-
 beautiful.
~~~ 
My gift to each person who purchases one of these Breast Cancer Awareness nests --
will be one of these gorgeous "big girl" sized scarves.
Designed to match the tiny little nest scarf--
this will be your very own one of a kind accessory to wear-
 signifying your support
of Breast Cancer Awareness. 
~~
(as modeled by our little grand daughter Keri Beth.)
She tells her Papaw all the time that she is a "big girl!"


With only 22 of these nests to be created --
 they are extremely limited in quantity.
Those of you who are interested--
may email me now
for information 
or to place your name 
on the waiting 
list. 
This very special nest 
will truly be a year in the making~
and will debut next year -
 October 2013. 



I'm so deeply honored to have this opportunity to create this Breast Cancer Awareness nest
for the benefit of the Susan G. Komen Foundation.  
Spreading the message of Breast Cancer Awareness is so very important.  

~~ 
Knowledge is empowering and can save lives--
each little nest will be packaged to include
the latest in Breast Cancer Awareness literature.
 ~~ 
On a more personal note--
Like many of you I'm sure,  I have treasured friends who've fought
their own battles with breast cancer.
Some have survived-- and sadly, some have not.
To me -- they are all heroes.
They define the courageous and undeniable spirit of women everywhere. 
"If you want to see a woman fight -- just make her mad."  
~~

This Breast Cancer Awareness nest
is dedicated to the memory of my Mother
Barbara Pope
and to women everywhere --who thankfully,
have the ability 
to get mad~
 
xoxo,
Vicki

ps-- Have you noticed my beautiful blog header?
(a million and one Thanks to my friend Karen Valentine for making my blog SO beautiful and for creating my fabulous "Pink Scarf Project"event badge!!) You know I love you!
~~
 I'm turning my blog PINK for the next few months to CELEBRATE the spirit of women and the announcement of my Breast Cancer Awareness nest.  Please join me here for my next post when I introduce my "Pink Scarf Project"-- a unique Awareness event in which you are all invited to participate.  We've lots to talk about -- lots to CELEBRATE-- and there will be a wonderful give away as well!  I made something SO pretty --- and I'm giving it away to you! 

    

51 comments:

Low Tide High Style said...

I love this, what an amazing way to give back!

Kat

Lyn said...

what an amazing post. Good luck with the nests and I hope you make so much money and awareness for breast cancer.
xxx

Joyful said...

A beautiful post. I can't wait to see your nests. What a wonderful way to help raise awareness of breast cancer. It's also a fitting and loving tribute to your beloved mom. I'm so glad she introduced you to knitting. xx

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Vicki,
The pink nests sound so lovely,such a special project.I know how beautiful your nests are, since I adore the one I have that you designed. I can't wait to see them.
Breast Cancer has touched our lives in many ways. Your project is so sweet and the nests are being created through loving and kind hands and hearts. You and the girls that are designing these delicate nests are a blessing to all the ladies who have, had or know of someone that has gone through breast cancer.
Sending hugs, Elizabeth

nanny said...

Your work is so lovely....
This post is very touching, esp. the story of you and your mother knitting again. I know you are so thankful!

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

Vicki, I am so moved, so proud to be a small part of this...
xxx
julie

SuZeQ said...

I'm crying ...

kosec@sbcglobal.net

Julie Marie said...

Hello Vicki... and what a generous, beautiful thing you are doing... I had a hard time reading your post, as I lost my sweet sister Jo to breast cancer several years back... she was (is, she is still my beautiful sister even though she is in Heaven) the strongest, bravest, most courageous lady I have ever known... she was a survivor for three years then it came back... and I miss her... and I love her... I cannot bring myself to order a nest, my heart still aches for her... but I would love to make a donation through you to the Komen Foundation... I always do the Race for the Cure... but want to donate through you as well... much love, xoxo Julie Marie

Karen B. said...

Dear Vicky,
I think you are amazing!! I can't wait to see your newest nest!

hugs
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

Jenny said...

My best friend, my cousin, and many others I know died of breast cancer. I know how terrible it is. Your post is beautiful.
I'm going home to Texas next weekend, the 13th. I'll connect with you then. Can't wait to get my fall nest. Good luck with the pink ones. xo Jenny

The Painted Garden said...

Hi Vicki,

What a beautiful and inspirational post. Your special pink nests will be beautiful and reflect your love and beautiful heart and spirit. Such a special tribute to your Mother and the gift of knitting she gave to you.

As a 10 year breast cancer survivor I am touched by your post.

Thank you for supporting breast cancer with your nests.

Hugs and Blessings,
Erin

gigi knits said...

Vickie Your post had tears running down my face..Because as you know I have a very special "Lady" in my life who is going through the biggest fight of her life right now. You are a very special person to do this for women all over the country who are and have had to go through this . What loving tribute to your Mom ,

Donna said...

Knowing you, they will simply be amazing!!!! What a great idea! Keri Beth is an exceptional model and looks darling in the scarf.

Thanks on behalf of all of us with the disease, for recognizing it in such a special way. The picture of your mother is beautiful.

Suzan said...

Vicki,
You look like your Mom! Such a lovely Lady!! It's so difficult when your love one has BC! My Mom had her surgery last summer and is doing fairly well. None of the females on Dad's side have been buried with breasts. Cancer is a matter-of-fact in my family. So we keep fighting and keep hoping that one day we will ALL be cancer free! Thank you for all you do! LOVE your pinks!!

SummersStudio said...

Beautiful post and you touch on so many of my feelings about breast cancer. Indeed we are all sisters, mothers, and daughters in this. We have sons, fathers, and brothers. Breast cancer touches all of our lives. But there is hope. There is always hope and the color is pink :-). These nests will be so incredibly beautiful. How could they not be with all of the love that is going into them. I am thrilled to contribute even a tiny bit to them. I am grateful for the opportunity to give back even a tiny bit to a community that has supported me so generously with my own journey with breast cancer.

mairedodd said...

these are going to be amazing nests, vicki, because they come from a place of such love and care...
through the magic you work with your hands, you help so many...
thank you so much for bringing me along on the ride...

yaya said...

This is really a wonderful project. How exciting to see these nests unfold and I know they will be a treasured keepsake and the money will go to such a great cause. As you know, breast cancer has touched the life of my dear friend and finding a cure and helping woman all over the world fight this is the ultimate goal. You're amazing!

DreamChallenge said...

So exciting. Praise God for your goodness. LU. Jan

Beedeebabee said...

What a lovely post, Vicki. This is such a wonderful project, and you are so, so special to devote so much of your time and talent to this important cause. I know these nests will be just amazing! My eyes got all teary when I read about your mom and knitting. How special that the girls are using her yarns to create flowers for the nests. I'm sure she's smiling down on all of you! xoxo Paulette

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Beautiful post!

How wonderful that you are incorporating your Mother's yarn in your beautiful nests. That is truly spreading the love.

At this time, I know too many people with cancer, one of them with breast cancer. Hopefully, a cure will be found in the near future.

Anonymous said...

Vicki, just want to thank u for making aware that breast cancer is still with us and like u I lost my beautiful mother to breast cancer at the young age of 61yrs, like your mother she was one talented woman.
God gave us two women that we can pattern our lives after. They were great women of their time.
Love ya, Garnetta

marda said...

Vicki you are such a sweetheart. What an amazing thing for you and your artist friends to do. S.G. Komen should be honored for your contribution to breast cancer awareness. Like most everyone else I've seen friends and family deal with it courageously...most of them winning the battle. What a wonderful tribute to your mother as part of this beautiful new creation of yours. A special thanks to all those who are contributing their talents to the making of what no doubt will be breathtaking. Hugs from a distance.

Kristie said...

What a great and noble journey you and you friends are about to embark on! My grandmother had breast cancer years ago and passed away with it after having both breast removed. I think this is a great way to help raise breast cancer awareness. I bet you never thought that knitting would bring you to this wonderful endeavor! :)

Maggie said...

Vicki, your kind creative generous spirit never, never fails to amaze me. I cherish our friendship very much. The pink nests will be incredibly beautiful and special and I'll be emailing you very soon so that you can reserve one for me.
I'm not a knitter but I'm going to try and knit a pink scarf, too.
Love
Maggie

Lululiz said...

What a wonderful post, Vicki, you are an amazing woman with a beautiful soul.

Silke Powers said...

Oh, Vicki, your posts are always wonderful, but this one is extraordinary! What an amazing thing you are doing with your nests! It couldn't be more fitting that your gorgeous creations were chosen by the Susan G. Komen Foundation. And how perfect that it is a collaboration of creative women. You are amazing!!

Love, Silke

Tammy said...

Oh my gosh, Vicki -- this post had me tearing up. Your words, the quotes, the pretty, colorful yarns, the fact that you are using your mom's yarns in these nests -- so absolutely beautiful and wonderful! So much detail, a gathering of so many talented artists. What a blessing! Best wishes, Tammy

A garden just outside Venice said...

Hello Vicky, so lovely to hear from you again!
Such a truly beautiful post and what a big heart you have!

Michela x

Dorthe said...

Hi my dear Vicki,
you are a fantastic woman, and so generous.
I know your nests will be the most romantic and stunning ones ,ever seen in pink , and so beautiful.

Keri Beth, looks so cute, Vicki, and your photoes are gorgeous,dear.
Hugs ,Dorthe

kareninkenai said...

This post absolutely brought tears to my eyes... this is such a worthy cause. It is dear to my heart since my mother and two aunts had breast cancer and my daughter had a mastectomy at age 26. We are so thankful for the love and support of so many beautiful souls. Will look forward to the scarf project. Kudos, Vicki - Hugs, Love, and Prayers from Alaska. Karen

Anonymous said...

I love your blog!! I'm headed to your Etsy shop right now too. I am a new follower and was hoping that you'd like to return the favor! Hop on over to: www.enjoyingtheepiphany.com, read me, and follow me if you like what you read.

Positively,
Sarah

Susanne said...

How lovely, these words and what you are doing to help with the cause. I know several women who have fought this battle, my best friend did not survive her fight. She was sick during the same time my sil was fighting her battle with ovarian cancer. And now it is my husband who fights multiple myeloma. Cancer, the unwelcome presence, the shadow. I read about your mother and how she retaught you to knit, she did have a purpose in mind, and you must know by now that many troubles are lost in the rhythm of the needles and the hook....if only for a little while one can forget.
(((HUGS))) Susanne :)

Carole said...

Oh Vicki the world is a better place because of you. I am honored to know you. Your mom would be so proud of you and how you have taking your talent for saving peoples lives.

x
Carole

Esme said...

Vicki, what an amazing project you are undertaking this time. You are right I think we all know someone impacted by breast cancer. I love the story of how your mum had you knitting again towards the end of her life. She truly gave you a special gift.

Tanya Sehgal said...

So beautiful :) Pink is my fav. & your style of making the awareness such a lively task is great. Take care!

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Hello my sweet Vicki...
Your @ it again, in PINK this time and a worthy cause if ever there was one!
LOVED all the baby things too...sooo precious!
Isn't life grand.
Fall nests are superb...
xo, Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Laura Quaglia (Fun With This and That) said...

Today I had awake'n .Then I got to your blog and it just reinforced my thoughts. Love your blog and your colors and work. You have picked wonderful help for your project.I will be back often . Laura

knitalatte said...

Amazing post, Vicki. What an inspirational project you and your artistic friends have taken on. Can’t wait to see photographs of the pink nests, so exciting. Thank you for sharing the wonderful memories about your Mom and knitting. She would be so proud of you Vicki. Hugs, Karen.

Lisa Lectura Creations said...

Hi Vicki! Your creations are lovely! :)

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Vicki - the colors are fabulous and your tribute lovely; well done!

A Scattering said...

As I read this beautiful, wonderful, inspirational post I thought of my cousin Sonia who passed away in April 2010, 10 years after her original diagnosis of breast cancer. She was a beautiful person and is greatly missed. When I finish writing this comment I'll email you to ask you to put me on the order list for one of the pink nests in memory of Sonia.

Elaine

suziqu's thread works said...

Oh my goodness Vicki - What a truly amazing project you have undertaken involving so many of your friends too and your mother's wool even - just how special it all is.
It takes a special soul like you to envisage and fulfil such an incredible journey of hope for so many women suffering from breast cancer.
Yes we all have lost someone close this way - for me a 26 year old beautiful girl friend's daughter - far too young!
I wish you every success with this venture Vicki.
I love your new header created by Karen too and look forward to seeing how the whole project evolves.
You are touching the hearts of so many.
Sending love, hugs and blessings,
xox Suzy

fromsophiesview said...

special winks for you...thinking Pink is so very important. We have all lost someone(s) to this dreadful disease. I feel it's a privelege meeting and knowing you through the 'cyber ether' and I hope your endeavours bring solace and serenity to many in the future.
Ron

Jim said...

Vicki, If I haven't told you before I am always 'in awe' when I drop by here! I so admire your spirit and goodwill Vicki. You are one in a million!
I loved the quote by Eleanor Roosevelt and if you don't mind will 'borrow it' for a future post.
Thanks for taking all that time to visit the many posts of mine that you did! Where you get the time....who knows?!

Anonymous said...

When I saw your post I had to stop reading I got really emotional. My Nana a lovely women whom I J'dore passed away of cancer. We had such a special bond despite the fact that she would often break into Spanish with me (East Sussex bred birdie. Your mum is lucky to have a daughter who honours her so beautifully.

Rosemary Aubut said...

Beautiful tribute to your MOM! What a beautiful and meaningful way to do so! You will certainly spread her love and memory!

Rosemary Aubut said...

Beautiful tribute to your MOM! What a beautiful and meaningful way to do so! You will certainly spread her love and memory!

Lisa M Griffin said...

Beautiful, thoughtful, inspiring and generous. What a wonderful project, thank you for sharing

Marlynne said...

Yes Vicki: I forgot to say in my previous comment I want to contribute a special pink scarf also. Count me in!

Lili said...

This is an amazing way to honor the memory of your beautiful Mother Vicki. It is so awe-inspiring to know what you are setting out to accomplish for this most worthy of causes! xoxo ~Lili

Unknown said...

i'm at a loss for words. truly.
you. are. amazing.
i am beyond honored and humbled to be a part of this most special of projects and for such a worthy cause. you're a beautiful person inside and out dear vicki and your mother is smiling down from heaven. ;)